Under general supervision, the HVAC (Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning) Mechanic performs a variety of technical tasks in the maintenance, repair, replacement, and installation of HVAC/R equipment, dining facility equipment, and related systems.
Fort Polk, Louisiana
Follows procedures, regulations, and guidelines while minimizing errors and safety risks.
Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains various mechanical, HVAC and refrigerated equipment.
Installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit. Installs humidifiers into system and connects water and drain pipes. Installs new units or replacement parts for existing units according to specifications and established safety guidelines.
Mounts compressor and condenser units, uses hand and metalworking tools and welding equipment.
Fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts. Installs evaporator units in chassis or in air-duct systems. Installs insulation on ductwork and air-duct systems.
- One year of work experience in HVAC/refrigeration equipment installation, repair and maintenance;
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting, and structural layout required.
- Knowledge of commercial mechanical and electrical systems, and ability to read and understand blueprints;
- Requires knowledge of regulations regarding HVAC including environmental and indoor air quality, and skilled HVAC work, with attention to safe practices.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations regarding HVAC repair and maintenance for occupied spaces;
- Ability to manage and accurately track material resources and time, and adapt to changing work priorities;
- Ability to estimate time and materials, and manage resources;
- Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving and common sense skills;
Ability to work safely;
- Customer service skills to act responsively to customer inquiries and requests; and escalate the more difficult matters appropriately;
- Communication skills to provide procedural and factual information, and to follow instructions;
- Flexibility to build effective working relationships with staff, customers and others;
- Ability to travel to various facilities, and to work independently and as a team.
The above information in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees for this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.