Under general supervision, employees in this job class operate heavy equipment such as cranes, clamshells, power shovels, motor graders, heavy loaders, carryalls, bulldozers, rollers, scrapers, and large industrial tractors with pan or scrapper attachments to maintain and repair roads, parking facilities, airfields, and firebreaks. This job class requires knowledge of preventative and corrective maintenance programs for roads, parking facilities, and airfields.
Fort Polk, Louisiana
Operates heavy equipment used in excavation, backfilling, and loading operations used to excavate, load, or move dirt, gravel, or other materials. Equipment may include backhoe, large and small tractors, loader, trencher, grader blade, snow blade, dump truck, flatbed truck, pickup truck, hand and portable electric tools.
Monitors and reviews equipment, structures, materials, events, and environment to detect and assess problems. Identifies the cause and evaluates results for the best solution
Reads and interprets grade and slope stakes and simple plans.
Manages material resources, and time; orders needed materials, and accounts for materials on paper. Completes work within allotted time limits and for acceptable quality standards.
Adheres to procedures, regulations and guidelines while minimizing errors and safety risks.
Drives vehicle equipped with tools and materials to job sites.
May grease, adjust and make emergency repairs to equipment.
Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- One year of work experience in roads and ground maintenance, or demonstrated ability to properly use heavy equipment, and knowledge of road maintenance standards;
- CDL or other special classification of operators’ license may be required.
- Mathematics to calculate material usage, complete logs, time sheets, notate mileage, and to accurate use measuring tools, equipment and devices;
- Knowledge of vehicle and heavy equipment maintenance practices, repairs and techniques;
- Ability to follow directions, instructions, structured process and procedures;
- Ability to communicate effectively to provide information, signal others as needed, complete daily records, and to act responsively to inquiries and requests from vendors, customers, management, and to escalate the matters appropriately;
- Ability to manage and accurately track material resources and time, and adapt to changing work priorities;
- Ability to follow established safety rules applicable to heavy equipment operators, to maintain a safe environment, and to adapt and respond to potentially hazardous conditions and use the appropriate PPE;
- Flexibility to adapt to changing work priorities, and to build effective working relationships with staff, customers and others;
- Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving and common sense skills;
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.